Skip to main content

Crimebusters

With the launch of the new Marvel role playing game my group has been debating about what characters we should play.  One classic convention in our games has always involved returning to characters we played when we were younger.  Our gang of friends really dates back to my brother's friends from high school.  He and I had an interest in pen and paper games dating back to the late 70's when my cousin introduced us to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, but our more serious interest in the hobby probably crested while he was in the first few years of high school.  It was then we met the guys who would become the lifelong friends we shared over the next thirty years.

To me it is always fun to develop new characters in any of these systems, but there is something about the nostalgia of developing older campaigns with a new twist.  The Crimebusters were born of their gaming sessions during the lunch break at school using the first Marvel RPG system.  It was d100 based or better known as the FASERIP system.  As far as game design goes it was far from perfect, but it was fun.  It was fast and loose, surrounded with familiar references from the comics, and easy enough to understand that it seemed like a perfect introduction for young players.  The campaign held a number of very important distinctions which have been hard to duplicate, and in my opinion a little more difficult to sustain over the course of our lives.

First off, as the Crimebusters we all played ourselves.  It was easier to envision in high school that as teenagers we were suddenly gifted with super-powers.  It was easy enough to envision that our heroes had discovered these magical amulets that granted them powers while investigating a dig site at the local library.  Each amulet empowered us to adapt to a certain type of animal spirit.  The initial team included Timberwolf, Tigerpaw, Grizzly, Taurus, Amphibion, Screechor, and Kong.  One of the first problems we ran into was the fact that I was a few years younger than the rest of the guys.  I must have still been in elementary school at the time (my brother is four years older than I am).  So when I joined the games at my parents house, I became Sectaur.  We had to write a way for me to discover an amulet.  There were other things which took place, including at one point shifting the Tigerpaw amulet to another friend who started playing much later.  Grizzly and Kong have long since left the canon of adventurers although I still know where one of them lives.

In all though I think the biggest draw for the Crimebusters originally was the fact that people in our lives were members of the stories.  From the teachers and to a less extent parents that made appearances in the games, it helped us come up with interesting situations.  But we are all older now, married with children, day jobs, lives, and careers.  What used to be a weekly session and something which was talked about quite often has become a first Sunday of the month gathering.  I've been struggling with the fact that I don't know what my teenage superhero has been doing for the last thirty years.  I mean seriously- there is no way I want to relive high school (lol- or junior high).  There has to be some way to blend this into the future.  I just can't seem to imagine this Peter Pan like existence of a character like Spiderman. 

I don't even know why I have been struggling with how all the parts fit together.  If the group is interested in pulling out our oldest characters ever, then maybe it is easier for me to just show at the games as bright-eyed and bushy tailed as I used to as a kid- and let things just work out.  There was probably never a huge amount of willing suspension of disbelief when it came down to the Crimebusters of any role playing game.  After all the reason why we play isn't really to write great stories or battle the forces of evil, it is just getting together with friends we've enjoyed over the years.  I just wish I hadn't modeled my character after a comic or toy line which disappeared almost as soon as it was released.  If we ever got syndicated I'd probably be sued for copyright infringement. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War Machines in Age of Sigmar

Well, I've been trying to figure this out because with a dwarf/elf army it becomes pretty important- usually like first turn important. After our first game it became apparent that war machines are very dangerous in Age of Sigmar. Something has me puzzled though- and it is part because of the streamlined rules and in part because of conflicting reports I've uncovered on the internet. Let's start at the beginning. WARSCROLLS & UNITS “All models are described by warscrolls, which provide all of the rules for using them in the game. You will need warscrolls for the models you want to use.” “Models fight in units. A unit can have one or more models, but cannot include models that use different warscrolls. A unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as a single group of models, with all models within 1" of at least one other model from their unit.” When I first read this it seemed very apparent that you would never have more than one unit in a warscroll. B

Grumlock & Gazbag

Move 5” Wounds 8 Save 4+ Bravery 7 Grumlok & Gazbag are a single model. Grumlok is armed with a Slaughter-choppa and carries the night goblin shaman a top his shoulders. Gazbag is armed with a Moon staff and carries a stash of Madcap Mushrooms. Attacks Slaughter-choppa range 1”, attack 1, hit 3+, wound 3+, rend -2, dmg d3 Moon Staff range 2”, attack 1, hit 4+, wound 4+, rend -1, dmg d3 Abilities I’m Da Best You can add 1 to all the hit rolls for a Black Orc Big Boss if it is within 10" of any other Orruk Hero from your army in the combat phase. Madcap Mushrooms When a Night Goblin Shaman attempts to cast a spell he can eat a Madcap Mushroom. If he does so roll a dice; on a 2 or more add 2 to the casting roll. On a 1 the mushroom was bad and he can do nothing else until your next hero phase as he starts hallucinating. Magic A Night Goblin Shaman is a wizard. He can attempt to cast one spell in each of your own hero phases, and attempt to unbind one spell in ea

On the Trail

As we moved through the forest, we had a sense that we were being watched. The trade route in the Drachenfell is ominous enough, but pushing off the road into the wood definitely gives you a much bigger sense of dread for those who are sensitive to those things. I remember thinking that Otto was probably blessed that none of this seemed to phase him. He just plodded along jingling and crashing through the primeval forest without any notion of fear or stealth. Dox was particularly quiet. I wasn't entirely sure what he was focused on. He is often very intense like this. Kind, despite his infernal origins, but also very focused and serious. It's as if he has a lot on his mind. After traveling for half the day, the trail led to a clearing. The ramshackle tower seemed quiet, it had a scaffolding staircase, and stretched to the sky over three stories. Concealed in the leaves was a large bear trap. The steel spring trap was set to deter any pursuers, but we considered it w