Skip to main content

All Apologies

Sorry I haven't been as active on here recently. I haven't been doing a ton of gaming or miniature stuff.

I know I don't have a huge following to my blog, but people stumble across some stuff like this, so I decided to do a little writing. My life has been improving in a lot of different ways. So where should I start. Let's see. We'll do daemons and Thousand Sons really quick.

My horror models are still on 25mm squares, so that project is waiting on some kind of new release to make sure I should base them on 1" fender washers or bump up to 1.25". The newest Khorne Bloodletters are on 32mm rounds, so I am curious to see if the horrors go up in base size to match the marines. Apparently Tzeentch and the Thousand Sons are going to eventually have a release this year. When that happens, then yeah my Tzeentch daemons will all move to round. I have been working to repaint my Thousand Sons. I bought a few units on eBay.

Before

After

More or less the ones I purchased on eBay were just dirty and didn't match my base style or color correctly. So I am slowly going through the process of repainting everything. Just mainly sticking with a pretty straight forward color scheme and trying to be very neat. Once again when they get a new 40k release I will base them on the current base size. I love using the washers and you know I have this cool joint compound, wispy daemon world basing thing I have been using. Guess I should follow in the footsteps of big brother and make some terrain boards for my table that uses the same material, so I can have this entirely crazy looking game board that actually matches by models instead of just always using grass mats.

A lot of my recent painting has been going on at 757 Makerspace. I have moved up to a full membership there to use the laser cutter/etcher. I am loving being part of such a neat, progressive community workspace. I am literally surrounded at all all times by the brightest and most talented people. It is rock and roll. And I am finally to the point where I am producing enough products to pay for my membership.

I am doing some work for my brother and Barry at Beneath the Lily Banners. Here are some pictures of the counters and tokens I am making.

To be honest it is pretty rock and roll.

My next big project is going to be a set of armor. I haven't done a lot of costuming. But I ran across this guy who does amazing 'How To' videos on the internet. ZNA Productions is just awesome. He is smart and funny. He is entertaining in all of his videos. I actually have access to a lot of the tools he is using. There are two specific videos I am focused on right now. I think using techniques from the videos he did on spaulders and the gauntlets are going to be perfect. I ordered some parts today used in making the shoulder pieces and Beau Turner at Makerspace hooked me up with some sacks this week for forming the gauntlets.

I am not following his designs exactly. For one thing I don't actually have a chest piece made. My plan is to use the laser cutter to cut and etch leather bands after I get the spaulders designed. The actual suit I am working on is the alchemist model from the Reaper Pathfinder line.

This was a model my brother painted up for our games (yeah and converted as well) for my main warrior/bard Strom Coldsteel. So more or less this design is going to be close to my heart. Way back when we first rolled these guys up in AD&D, before the Quest for the Three Keys, before the other adventures that spanned years of my life with Ghul D'Kat and Carmon Diablo (my real life friends Jim and Tom), my character was actually an armorer. So going full circle to actually design my own armor in true Strom Coldsteel fashion is pretty amazing and cool. I will definitely post pics and design notes as I move along. I really think attaching the armor plates directly to the suspenders will be cool.

My suit will probably wind up being cloth, sack cloth, leather forms layered with the fiberglass resin for plates to connect the suspenders. One of my friends at Makerspace has found a resin product that flexes relatively well without breaking when working with bamboo for bikes. So I need to see if I can make plates and gauntlets out of that instead of the typical fiberglass resin sold at your standard hardware chain stores. I need to catch up with Wes and figure out exactly what this product is. I think it is something used in the marine industry. Which once again makes sense for me since I grew up at a marina on the Intracoastal Waterway in Coinjock. Always been around boats, water, etc.

I have so many more projects in store. Gaming stuff, roleplaying, and now making my own stuff. Pretty awesome boys and girls. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War Machines in Age of Sigmar

Well, I've been trying to figure this out because with a dwarf/elf army it becomes pretty important- usually like first turn important. After our first game it became apparent that war machines are very dangerous in Age of Sigmar. Something has me puzzled though- and it is part because of the streamlined rules and in part because of conflicting reports I've uncovered on the internet. Let's start at the beginning. WARSCROLLS & UNITS “All models are described by warscrolls, which provide all of the rules for using them in the game. You will need warscrolls for the models you want to use.” “Models fight in units. A unit can have one or more models, but cannot include models that use different warscrolls. A unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as a single group of models, with all models within 1" of at least one other model from their unit.” When I first read this it seemed very apparent that you would never have more than one unit in a warscroll. B

Grumlock & Gazbag

Move 5” Wounds 8 Save 4+ Bravery 7 Grumlok & Gazbag are a single model. Grumlok is armed with a Slaughter-choppa and carries the night goblin shaman a top his shoulders. Gazbag is armed with a Moon staff and carries a stash of Madcap Mushrooms. Attacks Slaughter-choppa range 1”, attack 1, hit 3+, wound 3+, rend -2, dmg d3 Moon Staff range 2”, attack 1, hit 4+, wound 4+, rend -1, dmg d3 Abilities I’m Da Best You can add 1 to all the hit rolls for a Black Orc Big Boss if it is within 10" of any other Orruk Hero from your army in the combat phase. Madcap Mushrooms When a Night Goblin Shaman attempts to cast a spell he can eat a Madcap Mushroom. If he does so roll a dice; on a 2 or more add 2 to the casting roll. On a 1 the mushroom was bad and he can do nothing else until your next hero phase as he starts hallucinating. Magic A Night Goblin Shaman is a wizard. He can attempt to cast one spell in each of your own hero phases, and attempt to unbind one spell in ea

The Trade Road

Three days out of the town of Mort, we'd reach the Drachenfell forest. The caravan had at least seven days left to Brandon's Ferry. We traveled slowly. Our group was over twenty men strong, five wagons each with one or two drovers, nine soldiers including us, a priest, and a blackcloak. She seemed to view our scouts as prey, but she was young and more used to having a group of templars to back her up.  The morning calm of the fourth day was shattered by the caravan master Argasto. He was shouting about a thief and interrogating the guards on duty the night before. One of the muleskinners, an aging and grizzled veteran named Keller, had vanished in the night. Taking his loyal mastiff with him and padding out of the camp.  My skill as a tracker was not challenged by finding his trail. He probably had a six hour lead, but our investigation turned up that he was an ex-bandit, he'd ran with a pretty rough crowd after the war. More importantly, he'd on