Skip to main content

Malign Sorcery

When I first heard Malign Sorcery was coming to Warhammer Age of Sigmar 2.0, I thought we were getting a few new spells. The image from the Warhammer Fest Live Blog looked pretty cool. I may be right assuming it was something you paid points like scenery, but at first I thought they were boxed up with a wizard and a 'thing'.

When the Disciples of Tzeentch Faction Focus dropped we got this additional bit of information. Mechanisms of Time seems to outline how the Chromatic Cogs actually work.

A couple of things of note though.. the Endless Spell system seems to harken back to the Storm of Magic days (d4 Chan). The wizards control the new spells, but aren't in control of them. From the description you just need to be within 9" and it requires no roll of any kind to affect the spell. It will be very interesting if my Arcanite wizard can wrest control of the Purple Sun away from the Deathrattle wizard who plopped it on the board long enough to push it through that unit of Grave Guard holding the center of the board. Or grab that 'Pac-man'-looking thing away from the Greenskins and send in gobbling up Moonclan Grots like pellets.

But will wizards may be mandatory in the new edition of Age of Sigmar? Not having summoning to replenish your forces or a counter for Endless Spells seems like it will be a heavy burden to overcome. Back when summoning required points instead of in-game mechanics you could probably just start with all your troops on the board and fight your way through things. But just the name Endless seems to suggest these aren't things you can dispel. Flesh Hounds can unbind spells with their Collars of Khorne, but they are clearly not Wizards. How will armies without many arcane casters survive these new rules?

One thing I am not sure about is how this new magic system will be released. The painted models from Warhammer Fest seemed to suggest you get one caster and a spell sold together in a box. But there is a huge difference between Morathi and a Weirdnob Shaman. I didn't realize that at first, so now I am not so sure. We know there are more than five as well. The one outlined in the Tzeentch faction focus is simply represented by a picture.

That is what sent me down this rabbit hole to begin with. What army is that anyway?

At first glance I thought it was Skaven because of the halberds. But the caster looks like a Ironjaw and there are other rather human looking figures piled around in the image. Barbarians? Cultists? Why is the a Destruction model in the center of that knot? Is it a new Ogrid character that is skinny.. it definitely looks like an Orc with a mohawk.

The Malign Sorcery image shared at Warhammer Fest could easily be the cover to a boxed set. And prominently features a Tzaangor Shaman.

Maybe the Chromatic Cogs and a yet unnamed spell will be packaged and sold along with two factions in a boxed set. These types of things are selling very well through Games Workshop and seem like the best way to get new players collecting. I had batted around the idea of starting Skitarri for a long time. When Forgebane included the models it did I decided it was worth splitting a box with someone. Will we see a tie-in between Clan Skyre and Tzeentch the way Clan Pestilence joined the Maggotkin of Nurgle? Maybe I am just wish-listing there.

I guess at this point I have more questions than answers. We don't have a model for the Chromatic Cogs they mentioned in the Tzeentch faction focus. I am pretty sure the five individual spells they showcased will not contain the models they shown with. There is nothing eluding that Malign Sorcery will be a setting or optional rule like the classic Storm of Magic with four magical fulcrums in every match. Like scenery maybe they are things you can bring to a battle which you need to protect in order to benefit from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War Machines in Age of Sigmar

Well, I've been trying to figure this out because with a dwarf/elf army it becomes pretty important- usually like first turn important. After our first game it became apparent that war machines are very dangerous in Age of Sigmar. Something has me puzzled though- and it is part because of the streamlined rules and in part because of conflicting reports I've uncovered on the internet. Let's start at the beginning. WARSCROLLS & UNITS “All models are described by warscrolls, which provide all of the rules for using them in the game. You will need warscrolls for the models you want to use.” “Models fight in units. A unit can have one or more models, but cannot include models that use different warscrolls. A unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as a single group of models, with all models within 1" of at least one other model from their unit.” When I first read this it seemed very apparent that you would never have more than one unit in a warscroll. B...

One army, Two Games

I have been debating about how to do this. The main thing is deciding whether or not I really want to bother with it. But all of my daemons are currently legal for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar because they share the same base size. So the issue is, with the return of Warhammer: The Old World the bases are really screwy. So let me explain. If I try to transfer over my daemons the oval bases for the most part won't fit on the square bases. In addition to the roughly 25 Bloodletters I also have about 60 Pink Horrors and 9 Flamers. If I rebase any of this stuff, then I won't have access to it in another game. So with these models I am basically restarting from scratch on my Infantry. I have thirty more Pink Horrors and nine more Flamers on the way, so I am simply going to start them on new 30mm bases if I want to use them. If I decide to redo my Khorne daemons, I might honestly - but that's probably down the line. So stuff is going to work a lot better. As illust...

More Powers

One thing we will definitely get as this game moves forward is more power sets. In the meantime, I am going to add a few for our characters.   Beast-Powers The character has powers associated with Beasts Origins : Alien, Magic, Weird Science : Beasts Effect : The characters Might and Vigilance score caps increase by 6. The character can select the Extreme Appearance trait to take on a monstrous beast-like appearance. If you they do so, they can take an additional trait for free.  Powers in the set include Crushing Grip, Mighty 1, Mighty 2, Mighty 3, Mighty 4, Nature Sense, Quick Toss, Wallcrawling, and the following powers: Alertness The character has an uncanny ability to detect danger. Power Set : Beast-Powers Prerequisites : None Action : None Duration : Permanent Effect : The character has an edge on Initiative rolls and Vigilance (perception) checks. Enemies have trouble on Agility (stealth) checks against the character's Vigilance defense. The character also gains a perm...