Skip to main content

Shadow-touched

When Strom levels in bard he gets a feat or ability score improvement.

If he takes Shadow-touched, he gains +1 Wis (that would be a 16 now) which raises a few skills and his saving throw. He will gain access to Invisibility so he can drop that as a spell. But he also gains a new first level necromatic spell, so let's look at False Life. You gain D4+4 temporary hit points. If you cast this spell using a higher level spell slot, you gain an additional +5 hit points.

So Strom has a lot of benefits from taking this spell.

    False Life Cure Wounds
 1st level   6.5  7.5
 2nd level  11.5  12
 3rd level  16.5  16.5
 4th level  21.5  21
 5th level  26.5  25.5

Part of that is Strom's Charisma score in regards to cast Cure Wounds or Healing Word would only provide him with a +3 bonus because he's sitting at 16 instead of 18 or 20. But that would still only increase the effect of each spell by +1 or +2 if his ability score was dramatically higher.

If Strom used every spell slot he has to cast False Life he would generate an additional 227.5 temporary hit points. If he took Cure Wounds he would heal 229.5 hit points in a day. I also looked at Healing Word which puts up 147.5 hit points of healing if I use every spell slot, but also I can attack twice with my sword or use a cantrip each round. That seemed really appealing.

So lets take a look at something else.

Strom can take Mass Healing Word when he drops Invisibility. It is a higher level spell, so he's losing his 1st & 2nd level slots.

    Per Slot Daily
 3rd level  22  66
 4th level  32  96
 5th level  42  84

Mass Healing Word seems to be putting out the most Healing/Hit Points possible. Now this is assuming that all four characters are injured in the fight and within 60ft of each other. The actual healing isn't 22 hit points to any one character. The spell is healing on average 5.5 hit points per character with a 3rd level spell slot, 8 hit points per character with a 4th level spell slot, and 10.5 hit points with my highest level 5th level spell slot. But the numbers are quite literally the most efficient at healing period.

While using False Life would grant me 227.5 temporary hit point, and Cure Wounds would let me heal 227.5 hit points. In a single day using Mass Healing Word, I could heal up to 246 hit points of damage on average and continue attacking. I would still have seven spell slots for 1st and 2nd level spells as well.

The biggest affect from something like Mass Healing Word also is really just getting people up who are injured. If there is a party member down, isn't it better to pick them up off the ground. Carmon regularly casts Beacon of Hope while we are fresh in a fight, so that would maximize a few castings while Strom keeps folks topped off. I think it is a decent spell for Strom anyway because he has two attacks and a few good cantrips.

I could even argue, that it's not really worth doing Shadow-touched at all just to raise my Wisdom by +1. Just keep Invisibility the way it is, and drop Heroism instead to take Mass Healing Word. If I raised my Charisma to 18 instead of taking a feat that would increase each casting of Mass Healing Word by 4pts which would give me a potential daily healing of 278 hit points. That would also increase my Spell Save DC to a 17 and increase my Charisma saving throw and some of my skills.

I know I have talked to Doug about how much I like Mage Slayer and Sentinel as feats as well. Both of them would definitely improve my damage output. We tend to fight things that cast spells, and especially opposite the barbarian who is taunting the creature to attack them - Sentinel seems like a very good use of my reaction. I just get a lot of utility from Shield, Absorb Elements, and Cutting Words. It is hard to use a feat for a reaction. The other benefits from Sentinel are good, but I am just not sure.

I was originally all gung ho about taking Shadow-touched because of where we were. I tried to write into the story that I was studying the papers of the priest who was investigating eternal life. I think just the fact that we are here is a good enough reason to take it. But I don't know if that is really what I want to do for my character in general. Has the time in the Shadow-fell affect us in a way that any other place hasn't? Is there anything that would draw Strom back to this realm in the future? Does this fit better with my build?

  Mage Slayer: You have practiced techniques useful in melee combat against spellcasters, gaining the following benefits:
  • When a creature within 5 feet of you casts a spell, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that creature.
  • When you damage a creature that is concentrating on a spell, that creature has disadvantage on the saving throw it makes to maintain its concentration.
  • You have advantage on saving throws against spells cast by creatures within 5 feet of you.


  • Either way, I can take it next time I get an ability score increase or feat at 12th level Bard. I can do the Charisma bonus this go around and take Mage Slayer next time we get a feat or I can take this feat now and an ability score increase next time. 9th level Bard gets me two 5th level spells if I drop one I already know. And at 10th level I am going to take Bigby's Hand as one of my magical secrets. It's like whether I take something specifically to raise my hit points with False Life or heal the party using Mass Healing Word, or do something completely different (Prodigy or Resilient) the game isn't over and I have options going forward.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    War Machines in Age of Sigmar

    Well, I've been trying to figure this out because with a dwarf/elf army it becomes pretty important- usually like first turn important. After our first game it became apparent that war machines are very dangerous in Age of Sigmar. Something has me puzzled though- and it is part because of the streamlined rules and in part because of conflicting reports I've uncovered on the internet. Let's start at the beginning. WARSCROLLS & UNITS “All models are described by warscrolls, which provide all of the rules for using them in the game. You will need warscrolls for the models you want to use.” “Models fight in units. A unit can have one or more models, but cannot include models that use different warscrolls. A unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as a single group of models, with all models within 1" of at least one other model from their unit.” When I first read this it seemed very apparent that you would never have more than one unit in a warscroll. B

    Grumlock & Gazbag

    Move 5” Wounds 8 Save 4+ Bravery 7 Grumlok & Gazbag are a single model. Grumlok is armed with a Slaughter-choppa and carries the night goblin shaman a top his shoulders. Gazbag is armed with a Moon staff and carries a stash of Madcap Mushrooms. Attacks Slaughter-choppa range 1”, attack 1, hit 3+, wound 3+, rend -2, dmg d3 Moon Staff range 2”, attack 1, hit 4+, wound 4+, rend -1, dmg d3 Abilities I’m Da Best You can add 1 to all the hit rolls for a Black Orc Big Boss if it is within 10" of any other Orruk Hero from your army in the combat phase. Madcap Mushrooms When a Night Goblin Shaman attempts to cast a spell he can eat a Madcap Mushroom. If he does so roll a dice; on a 2 or more add 2 to the casting roll. On a 1 the mushroom was bad and he can do nothing else until your next hero phase as he starts hallucinating. Magic A Night Goblin Shaman is a wizard. He can attempt to cast one spell in each of your own hero phases, and attempt to unbind one spell in ea

    The Trade Road

    Three days out of the town of Mort, we'd reach the Drachenfell forest. The caravan had at least seven days left to Brandon's Ferry. We traveled slowly. Our group was over twenty men strong, five wagons each with one or two drovers, nine soldiers including us, a priest, and a blackcloak. She seemed to view our scouts as prey, but she was young and more used to having a group of templars to back her up.  The morning calm of the fourth day was shattered by the caravan master Argasto. He was shouting about a thief and interrogating the guards on duty the night before. One of the muleskinners, an aging and grizzled veteran named Keller, had vanished in the night. Taking his loyal mastiff with him and padding out of the camp.  My skill as a tracker was not challenged by finding his trail. He probably had a six hour lead, but our investigation turned up that he was an ex-bandit, he'd ran with a pretty rough crowd after the war. More importantly, he'd on